I’m honestly speechless with this book, and not in a good way.
First of all I was tricked by that totally badass cover. Also: IT’S ABOUT DRAGONS 😍
Now, I received this on Netgalley, and I have to say I have been having rotten luck with ARCs lately. The last 3 or 4 have been mediocre at best, so I think I’ll be giving Netgalley a rest for a while, unless there is a book from an author I already know (because Goodreads ratings are SO deceiving in this case)
As my thoughts on this are exactly 0.2% organised I shall revert back to an old favorite….LISTS cue cheering
OKAY so awkward realisation?!??! Apparently this WASN’T an ARC and it was actually published in 2014?? I guess I just saw September and assumed it was this year. OOPS. So it’s not an ARC but it doesn’t make me like it any more haha
- DRAGONS HELLO
- That cover, yo
- Magical school IN THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE? I’m in.
- Concept of dragons and riders sharing a life long bond (I gush)
- Now, I’m no expert but…This book was not at all flowy. It felt cringey and awkward and I often found myself distinctly WTFing.
- Also IN WHAT WORLD are 100% of the boys at a school ‘unbelievably hot’ or ‘super sexy’!?!!! But the girls are plain. Only the mean girls were described as hot…
- THE REPEATED USE OF THE WORD BIATCH. I CRINGE. SPARE ME. If you’re going to swear SWEAR. But get straight what demographic your book is aimed at?!?!?
- This book is about 16-year-olds. It reads as though it is for 12-year-olds. AND THEY FREAK OUT THAT THE MC IS A VIRGIN?!?!?
- Blatant Harry Potter rip-offery: we all remember beloved Professor Trelawney in her unbelievably hot tower and her creepy prophesy for Harry. I kid you not: there is a ‘Vida‘ in this book, who is basically a kind of Oracle. She resides in a tower. The tower is stifling hot and funny smelling. AND SHE MAKES A RANDOM SUPER WEIRD PROPHESY WITH A WEIRD VOICE AND CLOUDY EYES. AND she doesn’t know she made the prophesy after. Literally a 1:1 rip off of Trelawney. #SORRYNOTSORRY BUT NO.
- Also the concept of ‘claiming’ your dragon basically involves beating them into submission. Again: WHO EVEN LET THIS BE A THING?!?!?
- OH and the magical school IS IN AN OLD CASTLE. CAN YOU SAY HARRY POTTER. And yes I know that this alone doesn’t make it Harry Potter but you can’t deny the (*ahem* mildly put *ahem*) similarities.
- Also the romance makes no sense. THE END.
I know we all say that ranting is healthy but purely out of respect for the author I will rein myself in. I THINK YOU GET THE GIST.
The story idea had SO MUCH potential, so I am Le Sad to be so disappointed by it!
Have you read this book? What did you think? Have you ever had certain expectations of a book and it just blew up in your face like this one did for me?!?! SHARE MY PAIN.