Our Dark Duet.
Did you catch that???
Our Dark Duet.
Our DAAARRRRKKKKK Duet.
And Dark it was my beans. So so dark.
It gave me life.
AAAAND IT DESTROYED ME.
Time well invested, if you ask me!
What Our Dark Duet gives us:
- Badass characters
- A smol bit of tragic romance that made me lament greatly
- extra monsters that weren’t in the last book*
- Beautiful prose
- Beautiful, beautiful pain
*Schwab really knows how to win me!
I am writing this review with the tears still drying on my face so forgive me if I sound dramatic, or anything. My life has only just been ruined so EXCUSE ME WHILE I HAVE AN EXISTENTIAL CRISIS.
So first of all when I went into the book*, I was getting such Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibes from Kate. Such badassery and so much sass gives me LYFE. Also, she accidentally made friends when she was trying to avoid that??? CAN I DO THAT PLEASE. MAKE FRIENDS FALL INTO MY LAP.
ANYWHO. Kate’s goal in life is to kill all the monsters of ever. Luckily, in the city she is now in, Prosperity**, there aren’t nearly as many monsters as in Verity, so she actually holds her own. BUT THEN A NEW SUPER MYSTERIOUS MONSTER SHOWS UP.
Which eventually leads her back to Verity and my precious baby August!!
*AKA when my life still had meaning
**The names of these places are all so mocking to their actual nature
- I cry because people are scared of him. And he knows it. And it just breaks my fragile little heart.
- He is haunted by the things that he does, the things he has to do to survive. EVEN THOUGH HE TRIES TO HIDE IT. We all know he’s a lost soul inside. Again. I CRY.
- HE LITERALLY CAN’T SURVIVE WITHOUT TRAGEDY AND KILLING. SO TRAGIC. * cue my heart cracking *
- Also note the irony that he is more humane than most of the humans in our world. #awkward
- Not to mention the fact that he has a cat named Allegro, who is super judgy of people and I love him for it. BLESS YOU ALLEGRO.*
- Also, does this quote not break you to pieces:
“He imagined himself alone. Not lonely, just…free.”
EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO CRY. AGAIN.
*Also: MUSIC REFERENCE. BECAUSE MUSIC IS HOW SUNAI WORK??? SO CLEVER
The other Sunai:
Soro: a genderless NEW Sunai after all the shit that goes down in This Savage Song, but I shall say no more. They have no sense of right or wrong, only carrying out what a Sunai is made for: reaping. They pretty much have no morals and that is why I love them. #easytoplease
And can someone please give Schwab an award for not only making music itself a weapon, but also making the actual instruments they use into weapons???? Like. MIND BLOWN.
Ilsa: Oh Ilsa. So whimsical. And she does stuff. That I can’t say because spoilery??? BUT SHE IS AWESOME OKAY. She is such a special bean and UGH WHYYYY.*
“Playful and sweet and sometimes lost.”
So that quote pretty much sums Ilsa up. Hence why she is so precious to me.**
Ilsa doesn’t even say anything AND I AM TEARING UP BECAUSE SHE IS SO OWEHFUWEFIEJEFK PERFECT GOSHDARNIT.
*Isn’t this the most coherent review I’ve ever written??
**Probably because I am lost all the time so I can relate
That’s it! I hope you liked this Super Helpful Review!
If you haven’t read these: DO IT NOW WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR YOU NINNY.
Have you read these books? IF not WHAT IS STOPPING YOU PLEASE DO TELL?? Do you love dark and stabby books like I do???