Fairytales. Steam Punky-ness. Cinderella. A pet machine. WHAT MORE COULD A GIRL ASK FOR. PLUS MAGIC??? JACKPOT.
Okay okay. LIST TIME EVERYONE!
- Okay so first of all I have to mention that this book has quite a bit of diversity! Not only does it feature colored characters, it has characters of a COMPLETELY MADE UP RACE??? It also very subtly addresses racism in both aspects (the absence of it as well as the presence) SO. That being said, ONWARD BARTHOLEMEW.
- Okay so this is a Cinderella retelling so of course there is a very rude stepmother and two stupid stepsisters. THEY MAKE ME SO MAD. Like…no matter how often I see or read Cinderella retellings, those Step-relatives never fail to make me red-faced mad. SO RUDE OMG. Like…They made Mechanica (her name for Cinderella because she is a Mechanic) SEW ALL THEIR DRESSES.
- AAAANNNYYWWAAAYYY Every story needs a good villain amirightoramirightoramiright. Also aweseome is her mother’s hidden workshop which has magic bugs that are her little helpers which was SO CUTE.
- Also JULES. My heart swells for this little mechanical horse who is the absolute best of ever!!!
- I am a HUGE FAN of the fact that she didn’t have PERFECT PARENTS. Because seriously, who does????
- ALSO. The values in this book make me cry D: it’s ALL ABOUT THE FRIENDSHIP. Like…..the faery race have children BY BEING REALLY GOOD FRIENDS AND WANTING TO HAVE KIDS BECAUSE THEY LOVE EACH OTHER SO MUCH. How sweet is that?? I can’t even. Someone give me an oxygen tank because I can’t breathe.
- And of course Mechanica finds the best friends of ever who I don’t want to say too much about except THEY ARE AWESOME AND SWEET AND THE ENDING WILL TOTALLY CATCH YOU BY SURPRISE.
- Also SCORE because I bought this solely because I knew the naked hardback is purple HA.
- There wasn’t much not to like about this book! The only thing I have to say is that the first few chapters can come off a bit slow. I WAS KIND OF BORED TO BE HONEST. Because we’ve all heard Cinderella’s backstory a thousand times over. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS: HER MOM DIES. HER DAD DIES. I get it. Her stepfamily is horrid and wretched. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER. Okay rant over!!
So IN SUMMARY: YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT IS ACTUALLY THE CUTEST OF EVER. Even if you don’t like steam punk (which I happen to quite like a steampunky vibe every now and then!!!). So. GO FORTH AND READETH.