These are my very first MINI REVIEWS (minor fanfare and confetti here please). Very proudly I present to you (or not so proudly) The Invisible Library which I was not very taken with (because why should I dwell on that?), and THAT’S PRETTY MUCH IT. Soooo maybe this post should be called mini review? NO. Here goes.
FIRST OFF I was way too excited for this book. Everything about it sounded amazing…until I started reading. AND I DNF’d. I never DNF. Okay that’s not true, but I usually don’t choose books that will force me to DNF because I do not like admitting defeat.
- The idea. I mean, a detective that collects books from all different kinds of worlds, magical and not? The chance to run into every possible imagined creature (well, the fact of whether or not they’re imagined is debatable. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MERMAIDS ARE REAL. We don’t know what’s at the bottom of the ocean. EVERYONE THOUGHT GIANT SQUIDS WERE A SAILOR’S MYTH. They may not look the way we depict them in fairy tales, but THEY ARE THERE). It screamed about everything I stand for as an avid bookworm.
- The worlds. At least, the two I saw before I quit halfway through. I am not even joking. I took a nap before I finished the first 60 pages. But the worlds were interesting, with Gargoyles that do headmasters’ dirty work, (suggested) vampires, and Fey. What wouldn’t be to love? WELL THAT’S What I thought
- The mystery. An important and dangerous book (which happens to be the afamed Grimm Fairy Tales) gets stolen before the mission starts! EEP. So there WERE things I liked about it, as you can see.
- Literally everything else, though to be honest there isn’t much else than the characters. I cared nothing for them. If anything, they were like splinters in my foot. I AM ASHAMED TO SAY I can’t tell you anything about the MC other than that her name started with ‘I’ (Imogene? Ira? Iris? I DON’T KNOW). That’s how much I cared about her. Her sidekick was attractive, and that is all I remember about him. So, for me this book was simply a flop (SADLY BECAUSE I HAD ALREADY BOUGHT Burning Mask in my anticipation.) However, since I didn’t finish it, I don’t know if I can give it any stars? TWO IS GENEROUS.
- BUUUT also it was the first book I read after finishing Crooked Kingdom so maybe it was a MUCH TOO BIG step down??? I DON’T KNOW I AM #CONFUSE
What have you read lately that shattered your expectations (also in good ways?? POSITIVITY IS SOMETHING I NEED AFTER THIS SAD POST)??