SO. We all know that I originally am actually from Narnia?!?!? Hence my magic-ness, aspirations to eat chocolate all day every day (think of Edmund and that Turkish delight), and also be a mermaid, dragon, fae or any other magical creature (honestly I would settle for almost any of them. JUST LET ME BE MAGICAL).
ALSO I stole this from Beth @ Reading Every Night because when I saw that it was about Narnia, well how could I resist?
Narnia: Magical world you would like to visit
By now we should also all know that I cheat at promts. Like. All the time.
SO instead of picking one (because are you trying to kill me here??!?) I shall give you a pretty little list of my favorite magical realms I want to live in (but please someone teach me to be a ninja so I won’t die on my first day)
- Red London – This scrumptious place where magic is a natural part of life is my everything. Also a tournament of magic. Also the fact that the magic sort of resembles that of Avatar the last Airbender?!?!?*
- Grishaverse – I would love to visit the Grishaverse but preferably only as a ruthless gang leader** or a very powerful Grisha because I have no plans of dying yet. ALSO SHOUT TO LEIGH BARDUGO FOR WRITING KING OF SCARS?!?!? I definitely can always use more Grishaverse and Nikolai Lantsov in my life. I AM #EXCITE
- Godsgrave – again, this is contingent upon me becoming a skilled assassin, or I would settle for a perpetual unbreakable magical shield so my throat doesn’t get slit in my sleep. But other than that I want to see Godsgrave <3 (ALSO I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY COPY OF GODSGRAVE TO ARRIVE, SOMEONE CRY FOR ME)
*And apparently Schwab was inspired by that, so she is clearly #winning at life
The Magician’s Nephew: Book you think is underrated
I admit, this one is tough because I am guilty of following the hype most of the time! * sidles out of the picture inconspicuously *
BUT. I do have one author who I feel doesn’t get enough love?!?!? That would be A.G. Howrard. I love all of the books I’ve read by her, which are the Splintered Trilogy and Roseblood (WLJFÖIEWFJÖEGHEUJKHKÖJDFÖEHFGE).
Splintered is a really wacky and sort of punky Alice in Wonderland retelling and it is all kinds of wonderful. Roseblood is a Phantom of the Opera inspired story (sort of like an ‘after the fact’ thing) and UGH IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL AND I wanted to reread it the second I finished it. You can read my review here!
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: a classic you love
Now, I have been diagnosed by every witch doctor* in the country as being allergic to classics that aren’t fairytales SO here is a lovely list of fairytales that I LOVE
- Alice in Wonderland (shocker?!?!?!) Magic, strange talking animals, lots of sweets that are also magical?!? Sign me up.
- Rumpelstiltskin: I’m always a fan of a good baby snatching story. Or stories about babies who are almost snatched. Also cunning creatures who do favors but ask for a really ridiculous price. (In all honesty though who would be like ‘sure if you make this into gold for me you can have my first baby!’?!?! I will 89676% judge you if you do that.)
- The Little Mermaid: A WONDERFUL STORY OF TRUE LOVE THAT ENDS IN DESPAIR AND SEA FOAM?!?! I’m there yesterday please.
- Snow White: I’m always up for sadistic jealous evil step mothers that are out to get their step daughters. Seems legit.
- Peter Pan: Very Creepy menally unstable flying boy who steals children from their homes in the middle of the night? Who wouldn’t think that’s normal?!?!
*They are all board certified I swear
The Horse and His Boy: A book you picked up without knowing what it was about
HAH. I’m just chuckling to myself because this is..like..98.947627846% of all the books I read of ever!? I hate knowing what’s going on. I only need to know A: if there are dragons and B: if there is magic. If a book has either of those I will probably pick it up (usually I check to see if people I like also liked the book). Only VERY RARELY do I read a synopsis but OMG I was spoiled by a synopsis once so never again.
Prince Caspian: A sequel you loved
Um. All of Schwab’s sequels of ever. I love Schwab’s books and the Monsters of Verity books (particularly Our Dark Duet) AND the Shades of Magic series (A Conjuring of Light) have scarred me for life, destroyed my feels.
I shall never be the same and I NEED MORE.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: A quest you’d like to be a part of
I can’t say I’d want to be a part of any quest?!? I value my life too much TBH. BUT if I had to choose?!? I would totally join Lazlo Strange from Strange the Dreamer on his quest to find Weep, otherwise known as the Unseen City <3
Also can I be a blue goddess please and thank you.
There are a few books I loved more than I expected to, but one that sticks out to me like a sore thumb is The Traitor’s Kiss because it was a TOTAL cover buy. It wasn’t even my genre*!?? Not sure what genre it is but there is definitely 0 magic in it BUT I LOVED IT?!?! I GAVE IT 4 STARS?!?!? WHO EVEN AM I ANYMORE????
*If you are new here and have not yet figured it out and/or are blind: MY FAVORITE GENRE IS FANTASY.
The Last Battle: The perfect series ending
I hate series endings?!?!? Like. Why do things have to end?!? Can’t I just read about my smol baby characters forever and ever?!?!?!?!? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK.
BUT if I HAVE to choose a perfect series ending I will OF COURSE go with the one that destroyed me the most recently, which was Our Dark Duet.
Schwab claims it was supposed to be a bittersweet ending. But literally it was just heartbreak and my soul being ripped to shreds. NOTHING SWEET ABOUT IT. So obviously I will throw it at your head until the words penetrate your brain, or you read it willingly BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
Honestly I’m tearing up a little just thinking about it.
The Pevensies: A siblinghood or friendship you’d love to be a part of
UM. IT’S TIME FOR A LIST AGAIN BECAUSE THERE ARE JUST TO MANY AJOÖIJFÖIUWEGHEIÖWJFEHFUWEIJÖFOE
- Rhy and Alucard (Shades of Magic) – UM excuse me but their siblinghood dynamic of Kell constantly getting Rhy out of trouble and also Rhy getting mad at Kell for being reckless is just so precious to my soul.
- Nina and Inej (Six of Crows) – UGH. I love how Nina and Inej just love each other and look out for each other and LIJWÖOFHOIJE. Their friendship is #goals. Also I just had to quickly mention Nina’s love of food, which is rivaled only by my own <3
- THE WEASLYS DUH (Harry Potter) – NEED I SAY MORE?!?! They are all so wacky and different. Granted, I DO have 4 sisters so I can KIND OF relate??!? But only one of them has red hair and three of them are squids, so. #Toughluck
- Lila and Kell (Shades of Magic) – Hehe. HOW TO EVEN DESCRIBE THIS EPIC FRIENDSHIP. Lila is determined to find danger. Kell would rather keep his head. And so the circle goes.
- Harry, Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter) – Honestly, this is one of the most nostalgic friendships because growing up I was the fourth member of this group!?!? In my head anyways*
*Lots of things happened in my head that I’m not sure were real?!? But this one definitely was. For sure.
Eustace Scrubb: A character that grew on you*
I usually have a pretty good feel for whether I’m going to like a character?!?!**
One that I didn’t particularly care for at first was Matthias from Six of Crows?!?! I was like get over yourself, man.
BUT NOW HE’S LIKE. MY FAVORITE CHARACTER FROM THOSE BOOKS?!?!? I miss him and now excuse me while I go sulk in a corner.
*Eustace sounds like a fungus that would actually grow on you.
**This is totally off topic, but I just wanted to say that I would be bitter like an old crone if my name was Eustace, too.
Mister Tumnus: Your favorite mythical creature
We all know I have like 27349620985 favorite mythical creatures. So here are, like, my top seven.
- Fairies (the kind that fly around and try to poke your eye out or steal your first born child, preferably)
- Sirens (I like creatures that either steal your soul or drown you)
OBVIOUSLY there are many, many more?!?! But how can I possibly list them all here you would be reading until next year, probably.
Caspian: A character with regal qualities
I’m fairly sure that I am the character with the most regal qualities.
Oh, you mean they are supposed to be from a book.*
IN THAT CASE I should probably go with Kaz Brekker. I like my kings ruthless and monstrous. So. He is perfect. Also he is no nonsense and gets things done. Plus he inspires loyalty and protects his friends?!? What else could you want in a king?!?!
*I can write myself into a book, it won’t be a problem
90% of my reading is done in bed. CAN YOU BLAME ME??! It’s soft, and warm, and comfy, and most of the time there is no one there to interrupt my reading. Plus I have cute kitties coming to cuddle with me or sleep under my legs.
Well that was fun! WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, I tag:
OBVIOUSLY feel free to steal this tag if you so wish!! AND HAVE ALL THE FUN WITH IT.
Did you agree with my assessments?!? Would you have picked different characters for any of the prompts?! Are you also a native Narnian like me??